Friday, February 13, 2009

Remember

"Remember that you were slaves." (NLT) ~ Deuteronomy 24:22
John Newton lived a wild and dissolute life on the high seas. He sank so low that for a while he actually became the slave of a slave.

Two women prayed for John Newton, and their prayers never ceased. They pursued him down the Spanish Main, around the Horn of Africa, across the Seven Seas. In fair weather and in foul, through calm and hurricane. Those prayers, like the hounds of God, kept hard upon his heels. Then suddenly, in the midst of a fearful storm, with the deck heaving beneath his feet and death grasping his shoulder, John Newton was saved.

He left the sea and went into the ministry. But over the mantelpiece in his study thereafter stood a significant text, "Remember that thou wast a bondman in the land of Egypt, and the LORD thy God redeemed thee" (Deuteronomy 15:15).

This is from the New Every Morning Pocket Devotions by Nico Bougas, 2006.

A slaveship anchored off the African coast. (Bibliothèque nationale, Paris) from Bronz, et. al, The Challenge of America (Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1968), p. 155)
Amazing grace! (how sweet the sound)
That sav’d a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears reliev’d;
How precious did that grace appear,
The hour I first believ’d!

Thro’ many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
’Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promis’d good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who call’d me here below,
Will be forever mine.
You can hear the music and clip at a previous post The Law and The Gospel of Jesus Christ.