Monday, December 21, 2009

Project Ezra ~ The Gospel of John

On Saturday I attended a farewell for our dear family in Christ Regardt Reynolds, his wife Lynette and their son Leonard who are immigrating to Australia. It was a wonderful time spent fellowshipping and partaking in a real South African braai (what you would call a barbeque). We were unable to get a team together for the Project Ezra reading, and what would have been an ideal day for the reading then changed and the rain came.

Not to be deterred I waited for Sunday and although it was still fresh and cloudy, I went down into Alexandra Park in Pietermaritzburg in the afternoon where there was an event taking place known as 'Fantasia'. The event has a fun fair with big-wheel, swings, and other rides and there is a flea-market style set-up for people making their last effort bargain buys for Christmas. The location is in a rockery area with one main entrance. So this is the place where I took up 'residence' for the greater part of about 4 and a quarter hours.

Earlier I had prayed as the 'dreaded fear' was gripping me and I asked God to take control of the situation as I did not want to do anything in my own strength. I prayed for God to lead me and give me His strength to accomplish what He has already ordained.

God is Awesome!! I felt calm after praying to God for His protection and ventured out of my parked vehicle. It is so humbling to know God is in control of every situation. At this point I placed a pink parking ticket tract under the vehicles' windshield wipers and made my way along engaging some groups of people in one2three and more conversations. The boldness was increasing with every step I took - not because of any of my efforts, but by the grace of our loving Father.

Standing at the entrance allowed me to ask the questions: What is the REAL reason for the season? What does Christmas mean to you? Why was Jesus born and had to come into this world? What is going to happen to you the day you die? How will you stand before God on Judgment Day? There were many people that from their appearances you could see that they were Muslim or Hindu and there were those who just looked with blank expressions on their faces that spoke "What are you talking about?" Some people stopped and spoke to me which allowed me the opportunity to open the Perfect Law and the Gospel of Divine Grace to any hearers passing by, too.

It was a wonderful time spent preaching the Word of God to lost souls as our Lord Jesus gave me utterance. There were the professing Christians who would walk on by and say "I am saved" (but they were apparently indifferent to the plight of the lost) and then there were also Christians who encouraged the preaching of the Word of God. I did the Project Ezra reading from the Gospel of John from chapter 1 through 7 -- intermittently pausing in between chapters and verses to expound upon the Word of God, to open the Law and preach Grace through the Saviour of Who's birth we are celebrating. I also brought to the persons' attention that celebrating Christmas is not about Santa Claus, father Christmas, presents, Christmas trees and/or parties, but the miraculous birth of Jesus Christ -- Almighty God revealing Himself in the person of His Son to be the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world (John 1:29).

Many Gospel Tracts were handed out and even late in the evening some Muslim teenagers - who were initially upset by what I was saying that other religions are false - came over and engaged me in conversation while they waited for their lift. From not wanting to take a Gospel Tract at first, when they left I held out the tract to the one lad and said: "Come, take it, what have you got to lose? - read it and do with it as you want. But read it."

I thank God for His Goodness in allowing me to do His will -- not that I deserve to be used of the LORD. It is an awesome privilege to be able to speak the Word of God in public to those who are dying in their sin. The Truth the inhabitants of Pietermaritzburg heard last night is -- If you die in your sin because you have rebelled against God by breaking all His commandments and also because you have rejected God's Son the Lord Jesus Christ you will be punished for eternity. Your only hope is repenting of your sin and trusting in Jesus Christ for His finished work upon the cross to be your Saviour to save the repentant sinner. Jesus is to be both Lord and Saviour of your life. There is no other way to receive eternal life.